Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Interesting...



I was as a professional luncheon today and sat next to a vegetarian. The salad came first, and it was fabulous - crisp greens, fresh spinach, tasty arugula with a slightly tangy vinagrette. She didn't eat it. "Hm," I thought. "That's curious. Maybe she just doesn't like the dressing." As a non-condiment eater, I could empathize.


Then lunch was served. For us meat-lovers, it was lasagna (Eh. It was so-so.). The vegetarian meal, however, looked delicious - a tower of grilled squash, zucchini, portabello mushroom and cheese on top of a bed of red pepper-dotted rice, garnished with four of the freshest-looking asparagus spears I've seen.


She didn't eat it. She pushed all of the vegetables aside and only ate the rice.


"Hm," I thought. "That's curious. Maybe the vegetables were marinated and she didn't like it?"


I couldn't help but ask her. "You haven't eaten much. Does it taste OK?"


"I'm sure it would if I liked vegetables."


(Silence.)


Me: "Oh. You're not a vegetarian?"


"Yes, I am. I just don't like vegetables."


OK, then. Nothing more for me to say to that, really.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are a surprising number of people out there like that! It's insane for anyone to even try to be a vegetarian if they won't eat veggies. They must have the unhealthiest diet possible. Most junk food is vegetarian. Believe me, I know. :) Fortunately, I love veggies--as well as all other foods, except meat. --CAVT (Actual Not-Insane Vegetarian)

Becky said...

I failed to mention in my post that this girl was probably about 250 pounds. So, yeah, not a healthy diet at all. I seriously wanted to be like, "So, are you going to eat that??" The veggies looked sooooo good. :)