Thursday, July 16, 2009

Reflections

It was one year ago today that I found out my baby would be born five days later via c-section. Until the moment my surgery was scheduled, my biggest pressing question was whether I was having a boy or a girl. And then, once reality set in and I realized that "OMFG I'M HAVING A BABY!!!", all the other questions - to which I had no answers - started coming to the surface.

Was I really ready? (Uh, kinda late now, Bec.)

Could I do this without losing my mind?

What in the world is my life going to be like?

Yeah, so suffice it to say I spent the next five days crying my eyes out. I loved being pregnant - and as odd as it sounds, it just never occured to me that it was going to end someday!

(Along with the crying jag, I basically tried to "cram for the test" and read as much as I could. Um, yeah. No book in the world can prepare you for parenthood, let's just throw that out there now.)

All in all, I'd have to say it was the best, most shocking (I know, I know - I was 38.5 weeks pregnant, it really shouldn't have been much of a surprise!!) birthday present I have and will ever receive. I truly do not remember anything else about the day.

I don't think any birthday will ever top it, but it's awesome that I will always remember it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny! :) I read some books about babies before having a baby, too, and it was SO overwhelming. Now the question is--are you ready for a toddler?!

--Carly

LMJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LMJ said...

Happy birthday!! I hope you have a wonderful day this year too. Enjoying celebrating with your family and I hope you get to relax a bit. Cheers to you!

Denae said...

Love your blog and happy bday. Sending you love from Oregon! xxx